Monday, June 4, 2018

ELECTION DAY--AN ANNIVERSARY


It's the anniversary of Ronald Reagan's death on election day, tomorrow, as I'm reminded by an article in the Washington Post by his daughter, Patti Davis. I'll confess I was no great fan of Ronald Reagan. I disagreed with virtually every one of his policies and disliked his air of patrician insouciance. He, more than anyone, started us down the path that has led to the disparity between wealth and poverty that plagues our country to this day. That said, though deeply misguided in his belief in wealth and privilege as tokens of human merit, he projected a desire, at least, to adhere to standards of decency--if not a great deal of compassion. Looking back on that time, I share his daughter's belief that he would have been deeply offended by Tr*mp and the Tr*mpism that now dominates the Republican Party. By today's standard, sad to say, Ronald Reagan would be judged a Democrat.

No comments:

Post a Comment