Wednesday, May 2, 2018

A LETTER

Dear Dr. Hans,

It was a pleasure meeting you the other evening--not least to discover that we are both Cantabrigians. I consider it one of my greatest privileges, to have been able to complete my undergraduate work at one of the greatest universities in the world. That you were, as you told me, the youngest ever to have been honored with a chair at Downing College is impressive indeed.

I wanted to let you know that I will support your campaign as best I can. I have already sent what money I could afford to help with your primary run, and will encourage my wife, Ellie, to do the same. I pledge to offer further financial support in the next stage, in your campaign against the current incumbent.

I will also write. As you'll recall, I have been writing a blog called The Rohrabacher Letters, in which I have wanted, in some small way, to hold the Congressman's feet to the fire. After meeting you at the Meet & Greet, I was inspired to write one last letter to Rohrabacher, close down that blog, and open a new one that I'm calling "Rooting for Dr. Hans." Which would be you.

Quite frankly, I have been looking for an excuse to write that one last letter to the Congressman. I have grown tired of taking the negative, critical point of view and strongly believe that we Democrats should not depend on Trump- and Republican-bashing to triumph this fall. Your talk was refreshingly free from this easy approach, and I was impressed by your dedication to priorities that I share with you, among them especially health care and the environment.

I would like to think this blog might help spread the word about your efforts. If you agree, I'd like very much to have a link to your communications staff, in order to keep them informed and perhaps, if we establish trust, to receive an occasional heads-up from them about planned events, press releases, and so on.

Wishing you well in your pursuit of this congressional seat,

Peter Clothier, Ph.D.


No comments:

Post a Comment