Saturday, May 5, 2018

THE TOP-TWO DILEMMA

It's a dilemma.

This blog declares its allegiance openly. Based on everything I know and believe--and I don't know everything--Dr. Hans Keirstead is the best Democratic candidate for our 48th District. I have read a good deal of for-and-against material online, and he is my choice because he is well-qualified, well-informed, and embraces positions that I share on every important issue. Importantly, based on years of work in the national health and scientific community, he would also have a ready-made platform in Washington from which to base a strong congressional representation for our district. In earlier posts, I have detailed other strengths that lead me to believe he would make an excellent Congressman.

However, that said... it's still a dilemma. I acknowledge that the paramount need is to replace the current incumbent with a Democrat. I recognize that the "top-two" election process under which we operate (a dreadful, short-sighted mistake on the part of voters, in my opinion) leaves open the horrifying possibility of a choice between two Republican candidates in November.

I would want to avoid that situation at any cost---even the sacrifice of my own convictions.

Everyone properly insists on the right to vote for the candidate of their choice. I want that, too. But I will say this: I would be willing to switch allegiance--albeit reluctantly!--if anyone could persuade me that Dr. Keirstead's leading opponent has a stronger chance to dominate in the primaries and will be more electable in the November run-off. I don't see that yet. But I would hope that his opponent's supporters would make the same commitment.

Democratic success must be our prime consideration. Regardless of loyalties, of personal likes and dislikes, individual convictions and factual disputes, we need unity to succeed in what is remains a formidable blue challenge in our red territory. I'd welcome thoughtful and informed argument on either side. Any insights, please? From either side? From the candidates themselves? Any actual, reliable data?

Time is fearfully short...


No comments:

Post a Comment