Thursday, September 20, 2018

ME TOO, CONT'D

Reflecting on the story of sexual assault that I told yesterday in the context of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford's dilemma, I realize...

... that while I have a clear and detailed memory of the incident, my assailant might have wiped it from his memory bank;

... that I do not remember the name of a single one of the several witnesses; but if it had happened here in the US, the FBI would have no trouble in locating some of them;

... that I did not tell anyone about the incident--not the housemaster, who would have been the responsible authority, nor my parents; nor have I mentioned to anyone else since; that I chose, out of embarrassment and humiliation, to remain silent;

... that it was painful and embarrassing to recall the incident, even in the public forum of my blog and Facebook; to be subjected to a grilling about it before a Senate committee and a national television audience would be intimidating indeed.

In short, it is not hard for me to understand Dr. Ford's long silence on this private matter, not her reluctance to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee, absent a thorough, impartial investigation by the FBI. To use her reluctance to question the truth she has to tell is a cruel reminder of the easy abuse of power by men who wish to undermine her for their own political purposes.

I do not trust these men half as much as I trust Dr. Ford.

No comments:

Post a Comment