Thursday, May 10, 2018

TAX ME. PLEASE.

How's this for a radical idea? I want to pay more taxes. I especially want to pay more taxes if others, wealthier than myself, are required to pay more taxes, too.

I can think of a thousand reasons to want to pay more taxes:

I want to pay more taxes if it helps a child get a better education and a better chance at life...

I want to pay more taxes if it helps our country's teachers earn a better living and receive more respect...

I want to pay more taxes if it assures the provision of health care for all Americans, including our children...

I want to pay more taxes if it means that no one in America will go hungry...

I want to pay more taxes if it helps to eliminate crippling disease among my fellow beings in all parts of the world...

I want to pay more taxes if it saves a human life...

I want to pay more taxes if it helps to save our planet from the pollution that we humans cause...

I want to pay more taxes if it helps a working mother keep her job, with the assurance that her kids are taken care of..

I want to pay more taxes if it the street leading to my house gets repaved, if bridges are made safe, if the country's electrical grid and other power sources are safe-guarded...

I can think of a thousand other reasons to want to pay more taxes. I want to pay my fair share. I want others, wealthier than myself, to pay their fair share, too.

What I don't want to pay more taxes for--any taxes at all, in fact--is the purchase and maintenance of new and improved bombers, and fighter jets, and submarines, and those weapons of mass destruction we deem so offensive in the hands of others, but indispensable in our own.

Call me a bleeding heart liberal, if you will. I plead guilty. I'm proud of it. LOCK ME UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment